- Academic Advising
- Decatur, GA, USA
- Full Time
Department: Academic Advising
Reports to: Associate Director of Academic Advising
Work Period: 10 month
Job Grade: 7
GENERAL SUMMARY: Leads an advising team designed to guide each student throughout her four years at Agnes Scott College within the guidelines of federal, state, and local laws, and college and departmental policies and procedures. Reports to the associate director of academic advising and works with co-workers, faculty, staff, students and their families, and other outside contacts to support the students and growth of the college.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides support, strategies and resources to advisees as they develop an academic plan of study to achieve degree completion and other defined personal, academic and professional goals.
- Manages student's advising team and maintains systematic and frequent contact with the advisees and team members at times outside of course selection.
- Manages Summit advisory boards for each advisee.
- Guides advisees in developing their eportfolios.
- Interprets and disseminates information on institutional policies and procedures.
- Reviews and interprets degree audits, transcripts, placement and other standardized test scores.
- Refers students to the appropriate specialized resources for counseling, financial assistance, study abroad, internships, student disability services and /or other resources.
- Stays abreast of changing institutional information including admissions requirements, new programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, and costs updates in college-wide initiatives.
- Develops advising materials and presentations to support individual and group student sessions.
Education: Master's Degree or Higher.
Experience: At least 2-3 years experience in academic affairs, higher education, counseling or a related field
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and others from a variety of different backgrounds, experiences and abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, maintain confidentiality and abide by the Agnes Scott College Honor Code.
- Demonstrated excellence in planning and organizing work and records; coordinating with others to complete tasks in a timely manner; and bring work flows to a successful conclusion.
- Knowledge of student development theories and familiarity with current advising trends/best practices.
- Demonstrable proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Google electronic mail and knowledge of Colleague or similar student database software preferred.
- International experience preferred.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, moving of light and heavy objects. Work is performed in an office.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Agnes Scott College does not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or genetic information, gender identity and gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott College has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!